Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Bobcat Abroad: Alie Philip

 Age: 21

 Nickname: Aphil/ Felipe

Location Abroad: Rome, Italy

Other Countries You Have Visited While Abroad: Florence (to see my two fellow bobcat fh players snooks and brady), Paris (went with two tufts fh players and two Bowdoin players. Can't wait to kick their ass in the fall!) and Venice

Institution Where You Are Studying: Trinity College Rome Program

Favorite Class:  Bernini (The teacher, Pestilli is the best! He takes us to the best coffee shops and other pizza places in the middle of our walking tours. Who doesn't love to get academic credit for your major while eating pizza and gelato?)

Last Meal You Ate: Veal, Pasta all'amatriciana and a nutella and ricotta calzone from Dar Poeta (hands down the best dessert in Rome)

Last Historic Site You Visited: I was in Venice this past weekend on a class trip and the last place we lectured in was St. Marks square.

Favorite National Artist (Music, Arts, Etc.): I suppose as an art historian I should say something rather academic like Caravaggio or Bernini.

Favorite National Athlete: This one is tricky considering I went to a soccer match in Italy one the first weekends here. I woke up late and went to brunch (the game was on Sunday afternoon) while eating brunch I realized the game was playing on tv so I had to rush to the metro. Made it in time for half time with all my friends. However I was too preoccupied with taking photos, chatting, and watching Italians going nuts over this game. That was pretty much a long story to say that I know nothing.

Favorite Local Eatery:Dar Poeta. This place is by far the best pizza ever!! AMAZINGGG Nutella and Ricotta Calzone for  dessert. I went one time and got the spicy chili pizza since I love spicy food. I started sweating (not surprising since I always sweat, but this is a first sweating over food) at the table and did not cool even after several glasses of wine and water. Let is be known you have been warned.

 

   

Favorite National Fashion Trend: I don't really have a favorite fashion trend. However, I have noticed that Italian Police Officers look much more chic than the ones in America. They love the ray bans and slicked back hair.

Favorite Foreign Word(in your host country’s native language): I know no Italian, which is sad.

Describe your favorite experience to date: It is hard to pick just one experience since every day is actually the best day of your life abroad. I guess I would say I love it all, which is generic and pretty lame of a response. One day in particular though it was a beautiful Wednesday. I did my Italian homework in the orange grove of our hotel while parrots were flying around. Also, and my night class got canceled so I was done after my Italian class ended at 4pm. Then my two best friends and I walked past our church right near the hotel where we live, to go to mass on Ash Wednesday and the Pope was there. It was amazing because it wasn't that crowded and I saw the him in the flesh. Just another casual Wednesday in the fake life of study abroad.

What You Are Doing To Stay In Shape: I actually had a great running route that would loop around the Colosseum. NO ONE runs outside in Rome that is actually Italian. They all looked at me like I was a freak and the shop keepers would cheer me on like it was some impromptu marathon taking place where I was the only runner. Also there were too many tourists and I probably am in most of their photos as some random girl running in front of their camera. whoops. So now I run along the Tiber which is nice and less crowded.

What You Miss Most About Bates: I miss breakfast the most. I need my eggs and my NY Times every morning and here all they eat is bread and bad cereal. Every Sunday morning is the hardest knowing that there is a fabulous Sunday brunch at Bates and I am eating a piece of toast. Oh, and I guess besides food I miss my friends and JB.

Anything Else About Your Experience: I love Rome and I am so happy I chose to study abroad here. My two best friends on the program play NESCAC Field hockey. It is funny because whenever I travel or meet one of their friends it's usually another player on their team. I love sharing stories with them and hearing their experiences as well. It is pretty cool that we bonded so quickly over the fact we play the same sport in the same league and now we are bonded even more over this abroad experience. My word of advice is GO ABROAD (and to Rome specifically). It honestly is the best time of your life and you will never regret going, but rather regret not going.


No comments: