Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Bobcat Abroad - Riley Kundtz



Bobcat Abroad: Riley Kundtz (pronunciation in Spain: Reeleee)

Age: 20

Nickname: Rycy, Bonobo, a few others that are associated with my last name.

Location Abroad: Barcelona, Spain

Other Countries You Have Visited While Abroad: thus far, only Andalucia which is not a country but a region in Southern Spain. I visited Granada, Sevilla, and Cordoba, all amazingly beautiful.

Institution Where You Are Studying: La Universidad de Barcelona with 90,000 other students. 1700 to 90,000, casual.

Favorite Class:  Union Europea II

Last Meal You Ate: I wish I knew what it was. My host mom makes great food but when I asked my brother what we were eating he said meat, I don't know what kind, just meat. It was very good.

Last Historic Site You Visited: La Casa Batllo (one of Guadi's many masterpieces)

Favorite National Artist (Music, Arts, Etc.): Guadi!!

Favorite National Athlete: Carles Puloy. He is the COOLEST player of FCBarcelona (the greatest soccer team in the world), literally google him and you will know why I love him so much.

Favorite Local Eatery: Well I eat every meal at home, but one time I went to this pizza place and it was really good.

Favorite National Fashion Trend: So my favorite fashion trend is less fashiony and more based on looks: the mullet (wait for it) with ONE dread in it. So business in the front and party in the back plus one dread. One very thick, dirty dread.

Favorite Foreign Word(in your host country’s native language): Ramblear. This world is specific to Catalunya (the place where barcelona is located). There is a road that runs down the center of the old city called las ramblas. In the olden days, one would simply walk up and down the road, for no reason just to walk, therefore, forming ramblear. Many Sundays or Saturday afternoons I find myself “rambelaring” because I can. This is a concept Americans need to adapt. Walking with a friend or by yourself for no reason at all. I One time I was rambelaring (fui rambleando) and I ran into one of Guadi's architectural masterpieces! It was awesome.

Describe Your Favorite Experience To Date: I don't have classes on Fridays. One Friday I went to this really cool park across the street from me (Joan Miro park) and sat outside at this tiny dinky cafe drinking a cafe con leche (coffee with milk). It was right next to a dog park and I saw this French Bull Dog that looked EXACTLY like its owner. Then I met a few friends we sat, chatted then continued to Montjuic (google it) and climbed to this sick castle that looks over the entire city and Mediterranean Sea. It was very pretty.

What You Are Doing To Stay In Shape: WELL, I joined probably the best gym in the world called DiR. It has everything I could ever want from a pool to fitness classes that are entertaining to watch. Also fashion alert, people wear the WEIRDEST clothes and stare at my shorts, large tee shirt, and huge bun. Yesterday I was running next to a girl who was wearing long pants, a tiny tank, and puma weird dress shoes and her hair WAS DOWN! HA she also ran for about 7:53 minutes. I also walk to and from school most days and it's about a mile away, maybe more. I don't speak metric system.

What You Miss Most About Bates: Besides you freaks and my other friends, I miss the ability to joke around and be sarcastic and having it make sense. Being funny in another language or understanding humor and sarcasm in another language is very hard. Also, I think my program placed me with the fastest speaking host mother to live. I love her and my brother and sister are great, but my most common phrase is Como? Lo siento, no entiendo.
I reallllly miss field hockey, I get cravings to play daily. When I am running all I do is picture myself playing field hockey and kicking some nescac culo (bad word for buttock in spanish). The only people I have seen with a field hockey sticks have been little boys.

Anything Else About Your Experience: For those of you considering going abroad, do it. Not only should you have this kind of experience but also, listen to what people say and consider their opinions about going but ultimately, it comes down to you. Think about yourself and what you want.
Also, when I return I am activating the nokia phone I have purchased here. if I drop it the ground will break before the phone does. Also I have charged it two times, it NEVER dies. I miss the days of simple technology, life was easier. 

No comments: